Miles to go...

This blog has shifted to http://jayajha.wordpress.com/. All the entries have been exported there. So, please post you comments there itself.

Ramblings by Jaya Jha

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Women Liberalization in India

If you are the kind who makes use of the "Categories" feature of this blog (which I have so labouriously created), you might wonder as to why is this categorized into "TimePass". I am afraid, but there is no way to find that out except by going through the post. Of course, you might want to decide that it is not important for you to find out the reason. In that case, of course, you can skip.

Ok- so what is it about women liberalization in India. Once upon a time there was a country called India and women were terribly helpless in Indian society. They used to get married whem they came of age and once married, their fates were tied to their husbands. The man may beat his wife, abuse her, not care for her and do whatever else, she had no way out, but to accept things as such. She could not have left him. The society would have outcasted her.

But then came the changes. Women were allowed not only to break up with their husbands, but also to re-marry.

The author of this piece has been lucky enough to be born in this age.

Remember "Closest to God" - Last time the rumours got me married? Apparently, I have been divorced after that and have gotten married again! It certainly is not the news of the same marriage, because the other person to whom the credit is being given to is different from the description of my potential husband in the earlier story.

Won't you congratulate me, dear readers?

Anyway, I guess the description of the kind above is likely to confuse people (and rumours need no rationale) - let me put it straight. (I am using this channel, since the number of curious people is far more than what I can handle through mails - particularly at this point of time when I am bogged down with work!) So, dear friends and foes - I have not been married, nor am I going to be so in near future. Please remain patient. I am not a celebrity and do not need to get married furtively. Whenever, that is to happen - all of you will know and will get due to chance to do all the work that a marriage entails. Happy?

If you are one of those who have heard "something" like this from "someone", may be you would help the stomach-ache of that "someone" by sending him/her a link to this post.

Thank you!!

Yours sincerely

Jaya Jha

P.S. This time the category in only "TimePass" and not "Cribbings" as it was earlier. So, rest assured, it has been taken in "right" spirit (sarcasm intended).

Categories:

10 Comments:

  • At Wed Aug 31, 05:36:00 PM 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmmm...

     
  • At Wed Aug 31, 09:17:00 PM 2005, Blogger Jaya said…

    Laxmi: This comment was totally unwarranted. Neither am I seeking advice on when and how to get married, nor am I getting disturbed, not am I interested in this compariosn of old times and new times since the post was for the sake of sarcasm.

    The impulse is to deleted this comment, but I will let it remain so that you think twice before you make an irrelevant comment next time.

     
  • At Thu Sep 01, 02:15:00 PM 2005, Blogger Ayan Bhattacharya said…

    interesting (post) :-)

     
  • At Thu Sep 01, 03:25:00 PM 2005, Blogger Jaya said…

    Laxmi: It would do you some good to go to a dictionary and look for the meaning of the word 'sarcasm'. This post was not a serious one and was not at all intended to depict any society of any place at any point of time. And hence all you have written goes totally out of context. You are not only making a fool of yourself by posting such comments, but also irritating me to hell. In simple words, since it is not possible for you to understand my way of writing, please refrain from writing comments on my blog.

    Thanks

     
  • At Thu Sep 01, 06:49:00 PM 2005, Blogger Ayan Bhattacharya said…

    almost forgot to ask...when is the grand treat for the two marriages plus divorce (it's assumed as a happy event coz it led to a second marriage).
    The treat must be commensurate atleast with the "expected future status" of the bride (since little is publicly known about the status of the groom(s), it is hoped that the bride will factor in his "current/future" status [whichever is better] as well when treating).
    Inform time and venue at convenience.

    Strictly, No Excuses whatsoever will be accepted this time.

     
  • At Thu Sep 01, 07:08:00 PM 2005, Blogger Jaya said…

    You are welcome to my room anytime Ayan! I have at least 12 pairs of old, but very tough shoes/sandles in my room... Together they will make a nice treat...

    :-D

     
  • At Thu Sep 01, 09:28:00 PM 2005, Blogger Ayan Bhattacharya said…

    Yippee!!! one more added to the list of ladies in GH who want to target practice with their sandals on me. But a practical constraint, given the accelerating pace of increase in the length of this list, (much as I would like to), it is difficult for me to go from room to room for these treats. So given your skills at organising things, you can set the thing up, inform everybody, and let me know the time & venue asap. And I'll be there 10 mins in advance. Also, in case you want to target practice before the D-day, you can find dartboards with my face in many of these ladies' rooms.
    :-D

    >= 12 pairs...fetish for sandals/shoes...thanks for this great ammo for my future comments ;-)

     
  • At Fri Sep 02, 09:53:00 AM 2005, Blogger Ayan Bhattacharya said…

    The underlying message in you "shoes/sandles" comment just struck me!!
    In North Indian marriages don't they traditionally have this elaborate "joota" throwing ritual(there was even a "joota" based marriage song if I remember in Maine Pyar Kiya or Hum Aapke H.K.)

    Hmmm so this was the subtle message to the world...to start looking forward to your third marriage from now on (and that this time it won't be a secret, since subtle broadcasts have already started from your blog). So the "expected real treat" - not the "joota" business - now gets grander ( >= "treat(t-1)" + "Divorce(2) Treat" [assumed as happy event coz it'll be leading to a third marriage]+ "Marriage(3) Treat").

    But my heart goes out for Groom(2)...hope he reads your blog (& comments) and understands subtle messages (not all ppl are as intelligent as me ;-)

    Hoping sincerely that you are 3rd time lucky,
    :-D
    :-D

     
  • At Sat Feb 25, 08:53:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    www.498a.org
    www.saveindianfamily.org

     
  • At Wed Sep 27, 04:19:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Nice blog!

    Why don’t you consider writing about some of the new

    “India 2.0” sites that are creating a little buzz as

    well?

    Eg: www.ilaaka.com

    www.onyomo.com

    Thanks!

    Rajeev

     

Post a Comment

<< Home