Miles to go...

This blog has shifted to http://jayajha.wordpress.com/. All the entries have been exported there. So, please post you comments there itself.

Ramblings by Jaya Jha

Friday, July 09, 2004

Degradation...

...to Science.

I remember facing it since the first Economics lecture in class 11th. "Economics is a Science" and then whole lot of arguments followed as to why it is a Science. At various stages I came across almost an obsession in humanities people to prove that their discipline is a Science. I do not understand why people are so mad after it. In fact, personally I think Humanities and Social Sciences degrade themselves by trying to prove that they are Science and I can see that I have already started meeting people who would say "Management is a Science". Why on earth do you have to prove that? Why can't you accept that you deal with subjective things and there are uncertainties and feel proud of it because that makes your discipline only tougher to deal with. (I do not say do not use objective measures or numbers - I am trying to deal with over-stretch which almost demeans the complexities of human behaviour)

I remember a lecture during Techkriti this year at IITK. I do not remember who the speaker was, nor do I remember the details, but the lecture satirically pointed out how management education has been trying to follow the development in Science since the end of 19th century. The arguments might be an over-stretch, but it was interesting and did point out a certain tendency. The argument culminated on a very dramatic note. It observed, after giving examples of suitable paradigm shifts in past, that management lags by approximately 15 years behind Science in recognizing the nature of human beings and because Science now is talking of emerging systems, management education will make the startling discovery by 2020 that "Human Beings can Think"

Ah! Am not a loyal, dedicated management student yet, but who needs one?

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home