Miles to go...

This blog has shifted to http://jayajha.wordpress.com/. All the entries have been exported there. So, please post you comments there itself.

Ramblings by Jaya Jha

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Gmail

GMail appears to be my passion these days! :-)

Well, actually I have been trying to find some way to give them feedback, but have not been able to locate any specific mechanism! First good things about it:

  • The idea of keeping the conversations together is fantastic!

  • The ideal of Labels, as a substitute of folders, is also rocking. And especially the fact that one can label the same conversation with multiple labels.

  • Searching and relevant advertisements are cool

  • Have not been able to use the spam filtering - do not yet receive spams there, but seems it is a bayesian and would most probably work properly when needed.


But

  • User should have more flexibility in organizing the conversations. There are some stupid replies in some conversations which I just want to see in my mailbox - what do I do? :-( I can not delete it independent of other mails in the conversation! Sometimes there are duplicate mails for some reasons and it is just natural to want to delete them to keep the conversation from getting unnecessarily crowded.

  • Conversations are recognized by their "subject" - not this gives horrific results at times. If I write mails with subject "Hi" to several people, all of them including any replies will be clubbed together in the same conversation. :-( Not at all a good idea - I can have 'n' number of different reasons and context of saying "hi" to people!

  • If a reply appends "RE:" instead of "Re:" in subject, it is shown as a different conversation.

  • New mails in spam folder is not indicated on the main page. At least initially, when it does tend to classify genuine mails as spam - if I do not check spam folder regularly I would really lose some of my friends.

  • The labels once put can not be deleted (or did I miss something on the page?) from a conversation.

  • Archived mails should be visible more easily!



Categories: