Miles to go...

This blog has shifted to http://jayajha.wordpress.com/. All the entries have been exported there. So, please post you comments there itself.

Ramblings by Jaya Jha

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Small Things

This is the third post in this series. The other two came earlier at different points of time in the life of this blog. You might want to have a look

Small Things - I
Small Things - II

This time I am going back to my School Days at Navodaya. Our librarian Mr. Rakesh K. Sinha has been a teacher whom any student would find it difficult to forget. It was sad that my interaction with him was limited to couple of years of my stay at Navodaya, since after that he was transferred. But there was one incident in that short period itself, which I never forget.

I was, generally, on his good books despite not being a topper or anything because of my participation in extra-curriculars and regular trips to library. It was after the results of final exams in some year. I had performed worse than half-yearly exam. My position in the class had slipped from 6th to 8th. I was kind of worried about how he would react to this. (I still marvel at the capacity of some of the teachers to be able to bestow individual attention on all the students!) When I went to the library that evening, he obviously asked about the result and my nervousness when I told him about it must have been obvious on my face. And I would never forget how he said that there was nothing to worry and made a statement that stays with me always, "किसी को धक्का देने के लिए दो क़दम पीछे हटना ही पड़ता है।" (To push someone, you compulsorily have to take two steps backwards.)

Now, I am not fond of dramatizing events, but after that my academic performance did improve. It did not get me to top in one shot and probably it wasn't only because of this one statement. Several things changed. But it did give me a hope then. And more importantly a different way to look at life - To think of long term. I do not think he himself would remember that statemement. It seemed to have come spontaneously out of him. But it stays with me always. 'Small Things' indeed.

Thank you Sir for that!

Categories:

1 Comments:

  • At Fri Feb 25, 09:07:00 AM 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Respected Sinha sir was one of the teachers of JNVP who helped to shape the personality of many of us. I am going to write on him in my Navodaya-series. Still today he is our(my) very good friend too. Recently I met him at Pitu's marriage at Purnea, where we talked about JNVP alumni. You may contact him at JNVP Supaul phone. He will be happy to know about you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home