Miles to go...

This blog has shifted to http://jayajha.wordpress.com/. All the entries have been exported there. So, please post you comments there itself.

Ramblings by Jaya Jha

Friday, July 30, 2004

Why should I dislike attendance?

I attend all the classes, anyway. Then why do I have such a strong dislike for compulsory attendance? I almost hate it. First, there is, of course, a question of freedom, independence and learning to be responsible when freedom and independence is given. With it being compulsory, you would never learn to be disciplined towards it on your own.

But there are other selfish, personal reasons too :-) One was something I had realized at IITK itself. When attendance is not compulsory and there are people who indeed do not attend classes, attending classes certainly gives you an advantage over them in exams - in terms of it being easy for you to prepare for them and as well as in terms of getting goodwill of the instructor ;) Not a very noble way to of thinking, but its a fact.

Another thing I realized today. With some people not attending classes, the classes are less crowded and I almost always like smaller classes. When there is enough physical space vacant in the room and particularly around you, it gives a nice feeling. Further the discussion becomes more intimate, informal and giving it a direction is also easier. All this is assuming that I do not want to sleep in the class ;)

If IIML could give up this compulsory attendance thing! Wishful thinking....

Categories: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home